Friday, December 11, 2009

Shopping therapy for attitude adjustment

Ok, so we don't get to have Milos/Benjamin with us this weekend. I am bummed. What do we do when we are bummed? Well, first start counting blessings.....and blessed we are.  We are here, in Eastern Europe, blessed to be adding one very cute little boy to our family. Never in a million years would I have ever thought that kind of thing would happen to me...10 years ago!

We are so amazingly comfortable here. We have a 2 bedroom apartment...not a hotel room that I needed to find a "rent a cat" to keep the mice out. We have running water (and the water at least looks clean..not brown) 24/7, and hot water with as little as 30 minutes notice. In our kitchen (we have a kitchen here....) we have a 3/4 size refrig/freezer, 4 burner electric stove with a convection oven, a dishwasher, a microwave, and dishes, pots, pans, glasses and silverware. We have a clothes washer, I mean besides our hands! THis is a washer/dryer combination, and we really could be here with one change of clothes....one in the wash, one on our bodies. The apartment has heat that is consistent, and comfortable. And our bed is comfortable, king sized, with extra pillows in the wardrobe.  We have a living room with two sofas and a chair.  We each get one sofa to stretch out on while on our computers...we each brought one. (THAT was a GREAT idea!). And we have unlimited wireless internet here at our apartment.

We have a bathroom with a shower AND a tub, and the shower has great water pressure.  We have a TV with cable or satelite...not sure which. We don't watch much. It also has a DVD player, and there is a DVD store 1/2 block away. But we would rather research on the internet instead of watch TV.

We have made some great friends on this trip...the Maples' who are here adopting an adorable little girl, and of course, our facilitator, Jasmina, and our Landlord, Vlado and his wife.

We are blessed to have the knowledge that our other children are safe and happy, although missing us, as we do them. They are being cared for by our oldest daughter and her husband. I'm sure THEY wish we could hurry faster!

And, right now, Jim is on the phone (We brought a Magic Jack with us.....HIGHLY recommended for those who will travel. This is a very economical way of staying in touch and being able to do whatever business you need to, as long as you have an internet connection) right now finding a seat on our airplane for Milos/Benjamin. When we first inquired, before we traveled, the one way flight for him was going to be over 3,000 USD! It was suggested that we wait and book it here. Well, yeah!  So, Jim called to see what better prices he could find. Now that seat is 4,600  USD~!  UGH....one more call...Air France this time, and we are down to about 1600USD for his ticket. Now, it is all the exact same ticket on the exact same plane...on the flight we have been booked on...no chnages. We fly Delta. Air France is a Delta partner. Air France operates the flight out of here and I think from Paris to the US , but we are ticketed through Delta. Delta's price was 3-4,600. Air France...1200.  And I am thankful to be blessed by this, and by my wonderful husband who has the patience of a saint to wander through the maze that is airline travel for us!

Now that I've counted just a few of my blessings....onto SHOPPING THERAPY!

Who can be depressed when shopping, especially when you aren't spending any money....yet? Just figuring out what you will need/want and comparing prices. I LOVE THE INTERNET!

On my list of needs: (remember, we are adopting a 10 year old,(developementally about 1-2 years old)  and these are pretty much surprise needs for us. Our oldest is (Don't worry, Julie, I won't tell)...let's just say the baby stuff is LONG gone. We were not expecting to need baby things again...But, it gives me the opportunity to shop. However, I really like finding bargains, and I'm not opposed to 2nd hand stores for most things. So, I shop online, finding the cool,new stuff, only order things I NEED as soon as I get into the house (like diapers) and everything else we will try to get once home!

A high chair (got one picked out that l like)

Feeding "equipment"...a suction cup bottomed bowl....he likes to throw his dishes... A couple of sippy cups, maybe a plastic, curvy handled spoon or two, quite a few large bibs...we have a dog for floor clean up.   She will be gaining weight!

Sleeping: probably will need a crib, and a sturdy one at that. (not a pack and play) I don't think I want him to be able to be up and wandering the house without me knowing it. That means we need a crib mattress, crib sheets, probably a small blanket or two.

Toileting: He is wearing diapers right now, and weighs 30 lbs. I would like to get him potty trained asap, but at this point, it will probably take a while, and I anticipate needing  a back up supply of a few months worth, anyway. And of course, wipes. I think it is not a great idea to start this immediately, as he will have so many other new things to get used to, but we will be moving to training pants or pull ups eventually.

Mobility: I think it will take a while before he is ready to be out and about without a stroller. We have been using the umbrella stroller that I brought...another GREAT accompanyment.  Milos/Benjamin seems to be more comfortable right now riding in the stroller with us not "in his face" all of the time. He is small enough, really, to be in a wrap style carrier, or even a backpack type carrier, but for everyone concerned, strolling is better.  I am still unsure exactly what kind to get. Any suggestions? Keep in mind that we have Joey at home, too. He is 9, has DS, about 65lbs, and we have never had a stroller for him. But, if Milos/Benjamin is in a stroller, I can guarantee that Joey will want at least the option to ride occasionally. I was thinking of one of those with the sit/stand option on the back.

Toys: We don't have many things that Milos will be able to play with. I have about 1/2 set of those super strong cardboard boxes that look like bricks. I think they will be good....won't hurt much when thrown. I'm thinking a couple of simple cause and effect type toys at first. I guess I need to do more shopping!

Will post my finds later......

Mary 

No comments:

Post a Comment