Friday, December 18, 2009

First Full day stuck in our apartment

Milos/Benjamin and I were pretty much in our apartment all day while Jim braved the cold and ice to pick up his passport, my passport (it got left at the orphanage yesterday) and the medicals. Thanks, hon, for saving us from the bitter weather!

He was mostly smiley beyond anything we have seen thus far. We played with empty toilet paper tubes, rolling them back and forth to each other, he took 2 or 3 baths, and he ate. And ate. And ate. He is on an every hour and a half to two hour feeding schedule! I think I gave him too much one time because he refluxed pretty bad a couple of times and really cried. I felt so bad. So, we are watching the amount of food, but giving it to him frequently. He definately prefers the sweet stuff, but when he discovered that dinner was dinner, and refusing it does not get him a pudding cup, he decided he was indeed hungry and ate.

He can only handle small amounts of texture, so getting protein in him is a challenge. He does like milk, so I make any cereals with milk, and add an egg, then cook in the microwave. He seems to like it. We have made applesauce...really just cooked to mush apples with a little sugar...and I add that to the cereal/milk/egg mixture to make our very own "breakfast slop".

We did venture out twice, briefly. Once, because I ran out of Coke Zero (no Diet Coke here...or Coke Light...only Coke Zero. So, I gave up Diet Coke!), and once to take the trash out. THe first time, I put him in the stroller, all bundled up. He stayed that way, pretty well, but the stores are really small, and very skinny isles....read...no place for a little boy who has never been taught to keep his hands to himself!

He will not walk up or down the steps to our apartment. They curve a little, and he still needs two handed support to walk even up stairs, and he just does not feel comfortable on them. He did well on the steps at the orphanage, but not here.

The 2nd time, I just carried him, and almost wiped out. It is cold and very icy outside. The "sidewalk" in front of our apartment is actually made of tile, which is extra slipery when icy. We dropped off the trash and returned immediately. Those were our two big "outings".

Milos/Benjamin LOVES to rip apart boxes..really he loves to rip apart anything. We had a pizza box, and I figured, why not. It kept him busy for a good half hour! I can see Christmas now....just let him have the boxes and he will be in 7th heaven!

He did not nap, although we tried. He was in his bed for an hour and a half, but not sleeping at all, so bedtime was still fairly early tonight. He was very tired by 6pm. I did notice last night that he more than likely has sleep apnea, too! Just one more evaluation!

I think we should turn in early, too, since he gets up around 6am.

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment